A long time ago, I wrote a list of ways that I wanted to improve the “Sanity” feature. In this build, I decided to finally implement those improvements. It’s a simple build with a small number of changes, but it’s something that I wanted to take care of before focusing on my next task: creating a progress report video.
To see a list of everything that was added, changed, or fixed in the latest build, scroll down past this awesome illustration by mcfle!
When Yandere-chan’s sanity is very low (less than 33.33%)…
- …she will begin to have “intrusive thoughts” – no matter how hard she tries to concentrate, she will be unable to stop thinking about killing her rival. From the player’s perspective, these thoughts will be perceived as ghostly visions of Yandere-chan performing gruesome murder animations on Osana.
- …she will become unable to control her twisted feelings, and will giggle to herself, which will attract the attention of people around her. (The frequency of the giggles depends on the exact level of her sanity. At highest frequency, she will giggle once every 10 seconds.)
- …she will lose the ability to distinguish people from one another. Because the only person she cares about is her Senpai, everyone else will start to look like a dark blur. Her fellow students will lose all color, and will appear as black silhouettes.
- …smudges will appear around the edges of the screen. (I promised this feature in 2014, and didn’t implement it until today!)
- …she will become unable to resist her murderous urges, and will automatically attack anyone who is within range.
- …the game’s visuals will become more desaturated.
Additionally, Yandere-chan’s current level of sanity will now be represented by a semitransparent number visible over the cardiograph at the bottom-right corner of the screen. You no longer have to try and figure out what level of Sanity she’s at by looking at a squiggly line that turns from pink to red.
- Fixed bug that would cause students to fly through the air if they picked up a dropped object after consuming emetic poison. (Yep, you heard that right. It was a real bug.)
- Crouch-walking or crawling in front of Senpai will no longer result in an instant game over (instead, it’ll just creep him out, like standing too close to him).
- Fixed bug with Social Butterfly code that would prevent them from achieving their goal of traveling to a location with many students present.
- Fixed bug that prevented Yandere-chan from entering the correct animation when caught and sent to the guidance counselor.
- Fixed bug that incorrectly formatted the Discord Rich Presence text.