For the majority of the game’s development, I followed a “1st and 15th day of every month” update schedule. Last year, I explained the reasons why it wasn’t feasible to stick to such a schedule anymore, and announced that I’d only be uploading new videos/builds whenever I accomplished something significant. But, I still feel bad whenever we pass the 1st or 15th without a cool new feature being added to the game. I worry that, when there’s not a new video or update, people will assume I haven’t been doing any work at all.
So, I wanted to create a video with a preview of upcoming content to prove that I’ve been actively working on the game this entire time. The result is this video right here:
I’d love to say “the Delinquent Update will be available on April 20th” or something like that, but time estimates are never accurate, because there’s always some unforeseen problem I run into, an asset that I realize I’m missing, or a new game-breaking bug that needs to be fixed. So, instead, I’m just going to say that it’ll be available when it’s ready, whenever that is.
I feel like the delinquents are 90% functional at this point, so I don’t think you’ll be waiting long, but after they are functioning properly, I’ll want to go through and polish everything that looks janky, fix every bug I can find, etc. I’ll give you an example of what I mean: It only took 1 day of work to get the combat minigame operational, but it created a bunch of new work…
- What happens if the player triggers the “enter combat minigame” state with two delinquents simultaneously? Who takes priority?
- What happens if a delinquent notices the presence of a corpse while he’s in the middle of the combat minigame? Should “acknowledge corpse” code be disabled during the minigame?
- How should the other delinquents react if they discover Yandere-chan locked in combat with a member of their gang? How about Senpai, teachers, or student council members?
- If a character is standing extremely close to Yandere-chan when she begins the combat minigame, should the character back up? What if they’re against a wall and have nowhere to back up to?
- Should there be circumstances that cause a delinquent to have mercy on Yandere-chan and end the minigame prematurely, without knocking her out? What state is Yandere-chan left in, after these conditions have been met?
(Don’t bother answering any of these questions in the comment section below; I already have the solutions. I’m just explaining that, after you implement a new feature, a dozen new scenarios are created that all need to be accounted for.)
Adding new features is fun and usually easy, but all of the new “what if?” scenarios, edge-cases, and bugs take a long time to resolve. That’s the position I’m currently in with the delinquents. Even though I could release them immediately, I don’t want you to see a bunch of weird stuff like this, so I’m taking a few more days to make sure they’re polished and bug-free before I release them.
(Though, no matter how hard I try to make the next update as bug-free as possible, it’s almost certain that you’ll see me release a “Bug-Fixing Build” within 24 hours, since there will always be game-breaking bugs that slip past me…)
I hope that this video gets you excited for the upcoming delinquents, and most importantly, I hope it demonstrates that I’ve been very busy over the past couple of weeks!
(If you’re curious where the music in the video comes from, it’s an original track composed for Yandere Simulator! I’ll upload a full version of the track sometime over the next few days.)
…oh, and by the way, there are a bunch of things I’d love to share with you! Click “Continue Reading” if you’d like to see them!