Well, well, well – it’s an update that isn’t a bug-fixing build, for once! So, what’s new in this update? To find out, scroll down past this gorgeous artwork by Sinnymonrolls:
A few years back, someone came up with an interesting challenge – “Kill every student in Yandere Simulator in alphabetical order.” It’s an interesting idea…but in practice, it’s actually quite frustrating, because of the limited methods for hiding / disposing of corpses, the tedium of cleaning up copious amounts of blood, and the frustration of not having more options for hiding your actions from witnesses.
As it turns out, the challenge is more than just a fun idea for a YouTube video – it’s a “stress test” that reveals which aspects of Yandere Simulator can cause frustration to the player. Even though it wasn’t an official feature of the game, I found myself wondering what kind of tools could make this challenge more feasible.
For a long time, I’ve been toying with the idea of making adjustments to Yandere Simulator’s general gameplay to accommodate the challenge, but it was always very low on my priority list. Now that SNAP Mode is finished, I feel like I’ve earned the right to spend a brief amount of time implementing a small “just for fun” feature. Which leads us to…
The Alphabet Killer Challenge
While inside of Yandere-chan’s room, type “abcdefg” to begin the “Alphabet Killer Challenge”. The objective of the challenge is to murder 77 students in alphabetical order. Upon activating the challenge, the school scene will load, with several things different:
- 90 lockers will appear in the hallways of the school. Dead bodies can be hidden inside of these lockers so that you don’t have to worry too much about hiding bodies while trying to complete the challenge.
- A box of smoke bombs will appear inside of the Student Council room. The smoke bombs are infinite, but you can only carry one smoke bomb at a time. You can drop a smoke bomb by clicking the left stick (or pressing the “T” key on the keyboard). A smoke bomb lasts for 15 seconds. Any character inside a smoke cloud becomes blind until the smoke clears, or until they walk outside of the smoke cloud. Be warned – the smoke bomb is a double-edged sword, because it severely reduces your ability to see your surroundings clearly.
- An arrow will appear at the top of the screen. This arrow will point to your current target.
- A text box will appear at the bottom-right corner of the screen, displaying your current progress in the challenge, and naming your next target.
- The day will automatically restart if the police are called, or if you kill any student other than your current target.
- Your Physical Education stat will be set to “5” for this challenge so that you will have the ability to carry corpses.
- If you successfully complete the challenge, you will get a simple reward – something that I was originally planning to release as an April Fool’s joke.
Advice: If you get a stealth kill using a blunt weapon (like a baseball bat), your victim won’t bleed. It is strongly advised to only use blunt weapons and stealth kills when trying to complete the challenge. Using a sharp weapon for the Alphabet Killer Challenge is not advised.
If the challenge is still too difficult to be feasible for most players, even with the addition of the lockers and smoke bombs, I’ll happily take suggestions for additional tools that would help to make the task more feasible.
On that note…if the additions of lockers and smoke bombs feels like a massive improvement to overall gameplay, I can consider making them into official features that exist outside of the Alphabet Killer Challenge. (Maybe joining the science club would grant you access to chemicals that would let you make one smoke bomb per day?”
Fixes, Changes, Additions
- Fixed bug that would allow student council members to get distracted by dropped weapons while in the middle of pepper-spraying Yandere-chan.
- Fixed bug that could result in Yandere-chan being pepper-sprayed and sent to the guidance counselor’s office, simultaneously.
- Fixed bug that would cause SNAP Mode to get glitched out if Yandere-chan walked through a metal detector while in SNAP Mode.
- From now on, Yandere-chan starts the game with only one pair of panties available. The rest have to be unlocked.
- There is now a lingerie store in town. You can use this store to purchase panties for Yandere-chan.
- Fixed problem with Inkyu Basu’s portrait.