EDIT: I’ve uploaded a new build with bug fixes! If you downloaded the original Halloween build, you should upgrade to the new one!
If you’ve been visiting this blog for a few years, you’re probably familiar with a few of my annual traditions. Some of them are pretty silly, but when a tradition has been going for several years in a row, I have a hard time breaking it. So, just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that, and the year before that, it’s time for another…
Yandere Sim Spooktacular!
What’s a “Spooktacular”, you ask? Well, the name probably makes it sound a lot more grandiose than what it really is. In short, a “Spooktacular” is when I take a couple of days to produce a horror-themed minigame that pays tribute to one of my favorite games. The first one was Yanvania, and the second one was Yandertale, and the third one was Midori Forest. So, what have I got prepared for this year?
Because I already produced two minigames this year (the Miyuki shoot-em-up and the Light Music Club’s rhythm game) I decided not to make a third minigame. I wouldn’t want to become known as “MinigameDev”, after all! I want to spend the majority of my time on developing the core game, so I didn’t make a minigame this year. Instead, I decided to very quickly put something into the game that I’ve been planning for a very long time. It’s horror-themed, which makes it perfect for Halloween!
You want to know what it is? Well, here’s a hint, in the form of artwork drawn by Lincoln Sherlocks:
As far as hints go, this one is about as subtle as a slap to the face, isn’t it? You can probably already tell exactly what it is!
A new build is now available, containing some bug fixes and a couple of Halloween treats. Because some YouTubers have already figured out the steps to unlock this treat, and I feel guilty that they have to do it all over again, I’ll type out some tips to make the process a bit smoother:
- To learn exactly what you must do, visit the Demon Realm and speak to the Empty Demon.
- If the Empty Demon isn’t present in the Demon Realm, it means that you eliminated a key character too early. Reset the week to revive everyone, and try again, but this time try not to let that character die too soon.
- With the debug menu open, the left ctrl key teleports you to the Occult Club. Using the Void Goddess and teleportation, it’s possible to accomplish the demon’s request very quickly – I was able to do it in 3 minutes and 15 seconds. (I wonder if anyone can beat my time?)
- Once the demon’s request is fulfilled, you will gain a new ability that can be toggled on or off by giggling. Approach a student and you’ll see a new option become available!
EDIT: If your Halloween simply isn’t complete without a horror-themed Yandere Simulator minigame, then you should consider checking out “YandereDev’s GREATEST NIGHTMARE”, a minigame created by AMZE!
It’s simple, but charming! You can download it at AMZE’s blog!
To read a list of the bug fixes and changes I made in the current build, click “Continue Reading”!
Fixes, Changes, and Additions
- There is a very rare End-of-Day scenario; if the police arrest someone for murder, and *then* notice blood on Yandere-chan’s uniform, Yandere-chan can convince the police that the victim’s blood was splattered on her uniform when the murder took place. This scenario had the wrong visuals, but now it’s been fixed.
- Fixed Mission Mode bug that would only occur when Nemesis was disguised as another student. Nemesis and the other student could both be present at school at the same time if Yandere-chan was sent to the guidance counselor’s office and then released.
- Updated walking/standing animations so that now certain characters have “friendly” expressions and other characters have “unfriendly” expressions (unfriendly characters are pretty rare, though).
- Updated a few character portraits so that some characters are smiling and some are frowning, depending on their personality descriptions. (I’ll probably continue to update this in the future.)
- Improved “waking up in instrument case, confused” animation, the “shrugging cop” animation, the “surprised to find girl in instrument case” animation, and the “playing air guitar” animation.
- Fixed bug that caused a character to rotate 90 degrees if the End-of-Day sequence began at the exact moment when they were removing their shoes at the shoe lockers.
- If the player frames multiple people for murder, the End-of-Day sequence will now depict multiple people being arrested for each of the different crimes.
- Fixed bug that caused foreground objects to clip into the “End-of-Day” text window when showing a club that was shutting down.
- Added handcuffs to characters who are getting arrested in the End-of-Day sequence.
- For the first time in several years, it’s now possible to summon another demon!
- New easter egg. You’ll need to type three words while holding a certain object. (In the process of typing the last word, you’ll hit the “c” key, which will make Yandere-chan crouch, which will cause her to drop the weapon. You’ll have to stand up, pick up the weapon, and resume typing the final word.)
6:00 AM Update
All of these bug fixes are spoilers for what the two new easter eggs are, so I’m going to write them down in white text! You’ll have to highlight the text in order to read it. Only highlight this text if you don’t mind being spoiled:
- Fixed bug that prevented the Empty Demons from being able to attack Student Council Members. (They were confused by the red armbands!)
- Fixed bug that prevented Yandere-chan’s hands from being able to grip objects after activating the Miyuki easter egg.
- Fixed bug that prevented the spider legs from completely disappearing when deactivating the Empty Demon’s powers.
- Fixed bug that would cause the game to soft-lock when attending class with the Empty Demon easter egg active.
- Fixed bug that allowed Miyuki to fire her Love-Love Beam without having the magical girl wand equipped.
- Added the ability to speed up time during the Miyuki transformation sequence, since it’s a tad long.
- Increased the volume of a voiced line that was way more quiet than all other voiced lines.
- Adjusted the “Love-Love Beam” animation so that Miyuki is actually gripping the wand.
- Adjusted the “Love-Love Beam” animation so that the beam comes out faster.
- Adjusted the “Love-Love Beam” animation so that it ends sooner.
Last night, I wrote the script for a new video and recorded the narration. I have all the artwork I need to make it, and it could be completed and released as soon as November 1st. However, I feel kinda iffy about the script; I kinda wanna re-write some parts of it and record the narration again, which could potentially delay the video for a day or more. As of now, it’s a bit too early to predict exactly how it’s going to turn out, but, in short, I’m planning to release a new video in the near future.
Recently, I’ve been having discussions with people about how to improve the game’s framerate, which has led to some epiphanies and exciting discoveries. I’ve already tried out several experiments with varying results, and I know exactly what I want to try doing next. I’m currently very enthusiastic about the idea of improving the game’s framerate, so that might be the next thing I focus on.
In any case, I hope that you have a great Halloween today! Enjoy this adorable drawing by Budokas!
Thank you for following the development of Yandere Simulator!