Here’s my progress report for the past two weeks:
I originally planned to make a very different type of video; the original plan was to list every single aspect of Yandere Simulator that is having a negative impact on the framerate (updating the GUI, performing path-finding calculations, performing physics simulations, etc), describe the solution to each problem, and explain whether or not I am currently able to implement the necessary solutions. However, I decided that this would probably result in a very boring video, so I decided to simplify my explanations as much as possible and make a video that could be understood and enjoyed by as wide of an audience as possible.
Most of my time over the past 2 weeks was spent in two ways:
- Writing Osana’s story, designing her events, and writing all of the dialogue necessary for her story/events.
- Investigating what is affecting the game’s framerate, researching possible solutions, and attempting to do everything I could to improve the framerate.
All of Osana’s lines are written (and recorded, thanks to very dedicated voice actors!), so that was a success, but I’m extremely unsatisfied with how much progress I was able to make with the game’s framerate. I really wished to improve it even further, but researching it and trying to fix it has already eaten up a ridiculous amount of time, and I am very eager to move on to other things, so I will probably postpone the task of improving the framerate.
On that note, I’ve added a Settings Menu to the game that allows the player to adjust the game’s graphics in the following ways:
- Change amount of particles spawned / disable particles
- Disable outlines around characters
- Lower or disable anti-aliasing
- Disable post-aliasing
- Disable bloom
- Enable low-detail students
- Change camera draw distance
- Enable fog
- Disable shadows
Hopefully, giving the player these options will allow some people to improve their framerates.
I’ve also added something called “Pose Mode”, which allows the player to do the following:
- Move, rotate, or resize any bone in a student’s body
- Teleport a student to Yandere-chan’s position
- Customize a student’s appearance (to a certain degree)
- Make a student perform any animation.
Between writing hundreds of lines of dialogue, researching how to improve the framerate, adding the Settings Menu, and adding Pose mode, I somehow found enough time to take care of the following issues:
- Fixed bug that would cause Riku to confess to Kokona’s corpse under the cherry tree if Kokona was killed after leaving a note in Riku’s locker.
- Fixed bug that would cause students to snap out of their “Meeting” protocol if they heard a giggle while waiting to meet someone.
- Attempted to fix bug that would cuase Riku Soma to fall through the ground sometimes after studying with Yandere-chan.
- Fixed bug that would allow delinquents to knock out Yandere-chan while she was dumping a corpse.
- Fixed bug that would cause Kokona to blush at people she’s attracted to…while she was dead.
- Updated the texture that appears on a student’s face when they are blushing.
- Replaced the copyrighted bike ride music with original music.
- Fixed inaccurate student portraits.
Halloween only comes once a year, and I don’t want to let it pass by without doing something special, so I’m going to try to whip something up. I already have an idea in mind! However, anything related to Osana will be my top priority. When I don’t have any Osana-related tasks to work on, and when I’m done with my Halloween plans, I’ll continue working on the things that the community voted for in the last poll.
Thank you for following the development of Yandere Simulator!