As bugs are reported and game design flaws are identified, I sort them into two categories: “I should deal with this right away” and “This can wait until later”. An issue will go into the “Do It Later” category if it’s low priority, or if it would take a long time to address, without providing a significant benefit. For the past few years, I’ve been compiling a list of these issues in a “Do It Later” text file on my desktop.
Because there are only one or two minor tasks remaining before I shift 100% of my focus to Osana, my attention has turned towards preparing the game for Osana; fixing bugs and flaws that, previously, weren’t worth addressing. In other words, “Now” is the “Later” that I’ve been waiting for; now is the appropriate time to go through all of those issues that were shelved, and address as many as possible.
Over the past week, I went through the “Do It Later” text file and fixed as many problems as I could manage. The result is a new build with a massive number of changes; over 60 in total! Many of the changes are bug fixes, but others are miscellaneous gameplay improvements that I promised years ago, but never delivered.
To see the giant list of all the changes in the latest build, scroll down past this beautiful artwork that I requested from AlpakaArt!
Gorgeous, isn’t it?! You can download a wallpaper-sized version from the Wallpapers page on the official website!
- If a student takes photograph of Yandere-chan committing a crime with their smartphone, and is subsequently killed by Yandere-chan, the police can still discover that Yandere-chan is a criminal by checking the student’s dropped smartphone and finding the incriminating photo. To prevent this, the player is now required to destroy the dropped smartphones of anyone who has taken a picture of Yandere-chan committing a crime. (In the future, an animation will be created for this. For now, there is no animation for it, but you can still break phones.)
- Senpai has a strong sense of justice, and has disdain for people who commit evil behind a veil of anonymity. The sight of a masked murderer would fill Senpai with disgust and cause him to disregard his own safety and unmask the murderer at all costs. What does this mean for gameplay? It means that, if Senpai sees Yandere-chan commit murder while wearing a mask, he’ll run up and rip the mask off her face, which will cause an instant game over.
- From now on, it is only possible to put a mask on, or take a mask off, if no student can currently see you. (If people knew that you were the one under the mask, then it would kinda defeat the entire purpose of a mask.)
- The Occult Club’s leader will now spend time in the Occult Club from 5:00 PM onwards, since otherwise, it’s difficult for the player to attend the Occult Club’s daily club activity.
- Yandere-chan can now perform a kidnapping if she has a sedative purchased from Info-chan, instead of being limited to using a tranquilizer stolen from the infirmary.
- During the Occult Club’s club activity sequence, the number of characters in black robes will now reflect the current number of living Occult Club members.
- When viewing the map, you will now see some text informing you of what floor you are currently viewing (bottom floor, rooftop, etc).
- If any of the bullies are dead, then the player can’t request a task from Gema, since his task would have involved the bullies.
- If the player tries to ask a bully to distract Gema, the bully will refuse, unless Gema’s task has been completed.
- If the player attempts to lead a student into the Headmaster’s office, the student will refuse to go inside.
- Added props to the inside of Info-chan’s “Info Club” room. (I’ve been waiting years to finally do this!!)
- Changed the appearance of the tutorial windows to make the text more legible.
- Moved Kokona’s bag so that it’s actually at Kokona’s desk.
- Rebalanced the difficulty of the struggle minigame.
- Added 2 new hairstyles for Yandere-chan.
- A few years ago, a certain dude made a request. I have finally granted that dude’s wish. To see it, walk into the school infirmary, face the nurse, and type a certain phrase using your keyboard. It’s 8 letters long.
- If a teacher witnessed a mind-broken slave commit suicide, and then witnessed Yandere-chan do something suspicious/dangerous, she accused Yandere-chan of murder. This didn’t really make any sense. It makes more sense for the teacher to assume that you must have *something to do with the murder*, so her dialogue has been adjusted accordingly. (It doesn’t have a voiced line yet, only text.)
- Fixed bug that prevented the player from being able to cauterize Nemesis’ corpse using a blowtorch from the Science club. (Cauterizing corpses so that they don’t bleed is an important gameplay mechanic, more players should utilize it…)
- Fixed bug that caused Kokona to perform her cooking animation while waiting for someone to meet her, if the player put a note in her locker and arranged a meeting during the point in time when her cooking event was supposed to begin.
- Fixed bug that would cause the incorrect button prompt to appear over a character’s head if the player tried to talk to a student who was following Yandere-chan, while Yandere-chan was holding a plate of food.
- Fixed bug that caused characters to use the “drowned in toilet” animation when being drowned at the plaza fountain. (The difference between the two animations is in the placement of their hands.)
- Fixed bug that would cause the delinquents to repeatedly speak their “shoving Yandere-chan away” voiced lines if they passed by Yandere-chan while she was talking to another student.
- Fixed bug that allowed the player to push or drown students, no matter where they were in school, if they were distracted by a giggle while cleaning a toilet / clapping erasers.
- Fixed bug that caused a glowing outline to appear around Nemesis’ hair in Mission Mode, giving away her identity, if she was disguised as a gardening club member or as a bully.
- Fixed bug that allowed a teacher to become a part of a “group takedown” on Yandere-chan while she was being attached by a mind-broken slave during the takedown animation.
- Fixed bug that would prevent the End-of-Day sequence from rendering properly if the player reported Kokona to the Counselor and kidnapped a student within the same day.
- Fixed bug that would allow the police to discover a student’s corpse at school even if that student’s corpse had been destroyed by the incinerator or the Wood Chipper.
- Fixed bug that would cause all teachers to freeze in place permanently if a mind-broken slave attacked one teacher who had witnessed Yandere-chan commit murder.
- Fixed bug that would cause students’ entire bodies to tilt forward or backward when they were reacting to Yandere-chan’s camera while standing on stairs.
- Fixed bug that caused the bullies to still have outlines on their accessories even if the player had chosen to disabled outlines on character models.
- Fixed bug that would cause characters to spin in circles if a mind-broken slave attacked a victim while she was being distracted by another student.
- Fixed bug that would cause a teacher to be continuously alarmed by the sound of rustling in the faculty room, instead of only being alarmed once.
- Fixed bug that prevented students from being able to check their locker for a note if the player informed them about the note at lunchtime.
- Fixed bug that prevented students from performing a death animation if they were attacked while still reacting to another student’s death.
- Fixed bug that was preventing Yandere-chan from performing the right animation or facing the right direction when being caught by Senpai.
- Fixed bug that would prevent a Phone Addict from performing a death animation if they were killed while reporting murder on their phone.
- Fixed bug that caused students to become stuck in place if the player informed them about a note inside their locker during lunchtime.
- Fixed bug that caused weird patches of skin to appear on Yandere-chan when she was wearing club clothing with panty-censoring active.
- Fixed bug that caused the camera to do weird things if the player laughed in the presence of a teacher who was guarding a corpse.
- Fixed bug that prevented teachers from being able to notice a mind-broken slave committing murder inside the faculty room.
- Fixed bug that would allow the player to send a student to their locker, even though there wasn’t a note in that locker.
- Fixed bug that caused Phone Addicts to not play an animation when running away while reporting a murder on their phone.
- Fixed bug that allowed Yandere-chan to apologize for something that a student witnessed while she was wearing a mask.
- Fixed bug that would allow the player to clip a trash can through a wall and drop it on the other side of the wall.
- Fixed bug that could allow Kokona and Riku’s confession cutscene to take place while Kokona was burning to death.
- Fixed graphical bug that caused some parts of the exterior walkway to render as grass when viewed using the map.
- Fixed bug that prevented phone addicts from using the right animation when reporting a corpse with their phone.
- Fixed bug that allowed Yandere-chan to hold an object in her hands while performing a push-off-roof animation.
- Fixed bug that caused Yandere-chan to lose reputation if she tortured a prisoner in her home at nighttime.
- Fixed bug that caused flowers to be the default blood texture, even if the player had not censored blood.
- Fixed bug that prevented Mission Mode from stopping when one of the player’s targets escaped school.
- Fixed bug that could cause a tutorial window to pop up while the player was aiming their camera.
- Fixed graphical bug that was preventing the sky and the ocean from being rendered in Yanvania.
- Fixed bug that resulted in Kokona still being present at school even after being expelled.
- Fixed bug in Yanvania that would cause the whip to do damage when it wasn’t supposed to.
- Fixed bug that prevented the Drama Club from shutting down after Kokona was expelled.
- Fixed bug that caused the screen to permanently turn white after expelling Kokona.
- Fixed the whip in Yanvania so that it uses chain physics, as originally intended.
- Fixed bug that prevented students from animating during the End-of-Day sequence.
- Fixed bug that would allow mind-broken slaves to target tranquilized students.
- Fixed bug that made it impossible to open bathroom stall doors.
Wow – 45 bug fixes in a row! That’s the highest number of bug fixes there has ever been in a new build! In fact, with over 60 changes total, that means that this update has the prestigious honor of being the build with the highest number of changes from the previous build! Wow! I doubt that I’ll ever top that!
I finally have all of the animations necessary to create the Intro sequence, but it’s possible that, while implementing them, I may decide that I’d like to request changes/improvements, so I can’t guarantee that it’ll be the very next feature added to the build.
There are still a handful of other “Do It Later” tasks that I didn’t take care of in this build; you might see another, similar build released within the next few days.
Thank you for following the development of Yandere Simulator!