New build! Several new features and improvements, and 46 bug fixes! The checklist of remaining tasks is always getting smaller every day!
To read a list of everything that was added / changed / improved / fixed in the latest build, scroll down past this incredibly well-made video by ReubenThePig080! It’s very impressive how well he captured the look-and-feel of an Ace Attorney games, specifically the “Dance of Deduction” sequences from the Great Ace Attorney titles:
Occasionally, fans have suggested the idea of adding a minimap to the game. I’ve considered it many times, but I’ve always been hesitant to try including it into the game, because I was concerned that it could have a negative impact on the framerate.
Now that we have reached the “experiment with various ideas to see if it improves the game before the crowdfunding campaign” phase of development, I’ve decided to finally give that minimap concept a try. The result?
Hey, it works! And, while testing it, I don’t notice any significant effect on the framerate! Neato!
Obviously, the current placement doesn’t represent the final space it would occupy on the screen; I only put it there for testing. If it becomes a permanent addition to the game, I would move it into the corner of the screen, and put the reputation bar along the right side of it, like this:
I’m not sure whether or not the new minimap creates any new bugs, so for now, it’s one of those “you-have-to-mash-a-key-ten-times-to-activate-it-for-testing” type of features. In this case, it’s the “I” key. In the latest build, press the “I” key 10 times in order to activate the minimap feature.
It doesn’t really match the look-and-feel of the rest of the UI, though, does it? It might look more appropriate if it was pink. So, if you press the “I” key an additional 11th time…
Pink filter! Matches the feeling of the game a bit better now, doesn’t it?
If you’re done testing it out and want it to go away, tap the “I” key again. Press the “I” key again after that, and the minimap will return (without the pink filter, in case you want to alternate back and forth to decide what looks best.)
So, will it become a permanent addition to the game? Depends on user feedback! If it doesn’t create any new bugs, it doesn’t tank anyone’s framerate, and if players say it’s useful, it will probably stay. So, please share your feedback with me!
Chat Interactivity Additions
Numerous new commands have been added to the “YouTube Chatroom Interactivity” feature!
Pretty significant number of new commands, right? In case it’s not clear what some of them do, a little description will now appear onscreen (tho the left of the chibi Ayano) when highlighting any of the commands.
10 commands are for assisting the player, 10 commands are for sabotaging/trolling the player, and 5 commands are purely cosmetic. (If you’re wondering, “Why would I want to let players troll me?” you’re underestimating the entertainment value that an audience gets from being able to mess around with their favorite streamer. With that said…) Because I recognize that most players might not be interested in the sabotage options, they are all disabled by default.
Since none of the new options have been tested yet (after all, they can only be tested if someone is streaming Yandere Sim live to YouTube) I suggest trying them out one by one to see if any of them are broken, and if you encounter a broken one, reset the school day and disable that one for subsequent runs.
It is now necessary to feed the prisoners in your basement, or else they will starve to death:
I considered having a bunch of different meters – Hunger, Hygiene, etc – but I decided to just condense it all into one bar, “Health”.
A prisoner’s Health drops by 10% every day. You can buy food for them from the convenience store in town. The price of a meal for a kidnapped prisoner might change in the future.
It will be very obvious when a prisoner has died, because you will see and hear flies buzzing around their corpse!
Retro Handheld Minigame
When using the Pass Time command, you will now have the option to pull up a handheld game console and play a little retro minigame:
It’s extremely simple; you play it with just one button. It doesn’t have an “end”; the goal is simply to get a high score. It’s a very obvious parody of a game that was super popular a few years ago! I wonder if people have forgotten it by now…
In order to make this feature compatible with both 1980s Mode and 202X mode, the handheld game console is an old one from 1989. I guess this means that Ryoba wanted to share her favorite retro games with Ayano and passed down her old handheld to her daughter!
Nobody really reported any serious bugs with the “Student Gaze” feature, so it’s now enabled by default!
Also, many players suggested that students should stop looking at you after a few seconds. This suggestion has been incorporated into the game. However, students will return to looking at you if you continue to stand in their presence. Test it out and see how it feels!
New Achievement Pop-Up
The old “Achievement Unlocked!” pop-up was extremely bland. I attempted to improve it, but I’m not entirely satisfied with it. Here’s the current iteration:
I will most likely continue to make adjustments to the size and shape in the future, so if you don’t like how it currently looks, don’t worry; it’ll only improve from here.
Better Handwritten Font
The font that previously appeared on the “Feed List” screen was borderline illegible, and has been replaced with a new font:
Much better, right?
- I’ve made an optimization to the way that the game renders the UI. This should, theoretically, improve the framerate significantly. If you suffer from a low framerate while playing Yandere Simulator, please compare your FPS between the previous build and current build and inform me if there has been a significant improvement. Thank you!
- The act of activating or deactivating Yandere Vision now has an accompanying sound effect! Additionally, Yandere Vision now has a “drone” or “hum” as long as it is active. If people complain that the SFX don’t sound appropriate, they will be adjusted in the future.
- Previously, if the player got kicked out of a club for never showing up for club activities, the club leader would speak to the player as if they had a low reputation. New subtitle text has been added that is more appropriate for the circumstances.
- The act of putting objects onto the Chemistry Workbench and crafting chemicals there now uses different sound effects than the Crafting Workbench.
- Students with the “Heroic” Persona or “Violent” Persona will no longer perform the “knees trembling” animation when School Atmosphere is low.
- After I put the “Kidnap up to 10 girls and keep them all in your basement” feature into the game, I didn’t test whether or not it was still possible to collect the basement cassette tapes. Unfortunately, it wasn’t possible! The girls were sitting on top of the tapes, rendering them impossible to pick up. Oops! This is fixed in the latest build.
- If the player was using the “Cinematic Camera” when the school day ended, the end-of-day results screen would not appear, preventing players from seeing the button prompt informing them of how to proceed forward. From now on, the “Cinematic Camera” will disable itself when the school day ends, to prevent this type of confusion.
- If the player dismembered a student and the cops found the student’s dismembered corpse, the game would not increment the “number of corpses that have been discovered at school” count, would not hold a memorial for the dead student, and would not correctly decrement school atmosphere. This bug has been fixed.
- Fixed bug that would cause the player’s reputation to update if they walked into and then out of the Counselor’s office, even though the player’s rep is only supposed to update if they attend class or are forcefully sent to the Counselor’s office.
- Fixed bug that would cause incorrect text to display at the start of the “End of Day Results” screen if the player pushed a student from the rooftop and then reported the fallen student’s corpse to a teacher.
- Fixed bug that would cause Sakyu and Inkyu to slide across the ground while performing a sitting animation if the player advanced to lunchtime while their morning conversation event was taking place.
- Fixed bug that would cause the “4 people pin down the protagonist” sequence to play in slow motion if the sequence was activated while the player was engaged in the delinquent combat minigame.
- Fixed bug that would cause the subtitles for Osana’s Monday morning phone call conversation to appear at the bottom of the screen even if the player was very far away from the conversation.
- Fixed bug that caused the “Students gaze at Ayano” feature to break Raibaru’s “look back and forth between Ayano and Osana” animation while Ayano was talking to Osana about her stalker.
- Fixed bug that would cause the Basu sisters to have their daily conversation at lunchtime instead of morning if the player immediately skipped to lunchtime at the earliest opportunity.
- In the “Space Witch” minigame, if the player flew past one of the enemies and the enemy turned around, its sprite would change and appear incorrect. This bug has been fixed.
- If the player put a photograph onto their corkboard and then deleted that photograph, the photo on the corkboard would become a “placeholder” image. This bug has been fixed.
- If the player accessed a rival’s bookbag and tampered with her bento, then saved and reloaded, the game would not remember the bento sabotage. This oversight has been fixed.
- Fixed bug that would cause the rival to permanently be unavailable to talk for the entire day if the player skipped directly to lunchtime at the beginning of Friday morning.
- If the player killed Kyuji on Friday and then let a police investigation happen, the game would mark Osana as eliminated due to matchmaking. Oops! This bug has been fixed.
- If the player lethally poisoned Osana and then spoke to Raibaru while Osana was dying, Osana would immediately stop dying and become normal again. This bug has been fixed.
- Fixed bug that would prevent Chigusa from ever putting her bookbag on her desk if school atmosphere was low enough that her photographers wouldn’t be at her photo shoot.
- Fixed bug that would cause the Counselor sequence to freeze if the player was sent to the counselor after being caught crouching or crawling by the student council.
- Fixed bug that would prevent the player from being able to close a door if a cooking club member’s food tray fell into the doorway when they were scared / killed.
- Fixed bug that would cause Sonoko to freeze in place permanently if the player walked or ran too close nearby her while she was checking for a note in her locker.
- If the player put any type of liquid into a bucket, then saved and reloaded, the bucket might have appeared empty in some circumstances. This bug has been fixed.
- Fixed bug that would cause texture errors to appear on the Sports Club when reloading a save file that was made while the Sports Club were running on the track.
- Fixed bug that would cause the game to believe that “-1” corpses were present at school if a corpse was wrapped in a garbage bag and then buried underground.
- Fixed bug that would cause students to get stuck while trying to pathfind around a specific position nearby the legendary cherry tree behind the school.
- Fixed bug that was preventing the delinquent girls from moving to their intended destination if the player saved and loaded during gameplay.
- Fixed bug that would make the Journalist stop pathfinding if the player saved and loaded the game anytime after he had begun to walk around.
- Fixed bug that prevented the game from accurately counting how many times the police had visited Akademi on the stats screen in 1980s Mode.
- Fixed bug that caused the Senpai/Osana confession sequence to lack any audio if it was triggered after a police investigation sequence.
- Fixed bug that would allow the player to perform the “Make Food” activity an infinite number of times by repeatedly saving and loading.
- Fixed bug that would cause both Ayano and Osana to glitch out if Ayano was spotted performing the pool drowning elimination on Osana.
- Fixed bug that would cause the game over screen to be dead silent if it was reached at the end of a police investigation sequence.
- Fixed bug that made Osana and Raibaru face the wrong directions during Osana’s Friday “share music with Senpai” lunchtime event.
- Fixed bug that would prevent Nemesis from putting on the right uniform if she was disguising herself as a student council member.
- Fixed bug that was preventing the “Headhunter” icon from lighting up after the player had unlocked that Achievement.
- Fixed bug that prevented the delinquent girls from returning to their routines properly when loading a save file.
- Fixed text rendering error that would appear in the “Are you sure you want to try the Amai Challenge?” window.
- Fixed bug that would cause the 1980s Mode rivals to accept locker notes that they weren’t supposed to accept.
- Fixed bug that was preventing the number of the current week from displaying underneath the time at school.
- Fixed bug that would cause the Headmaster’s katana to disappear if the player saved and loaded the game.
- Fixed bug that would prevent the game from supplying the player with an infinite amount of narcotics.
- Fixed bug that would cause the Martial Arts Gi to turn black when the protagonist’s sanity dropped.
- Fixed bug that prevented the game from saving and remembering student reputations from day to day.
- Fixed students who were in the incorrect order in the 1980s Mode Alphabet Killer Challenge.
- Fixed typo in the text for the “Expel” Idea in 1980s Mode.
- Fixed incorrect texture on the chairs in the art room.
- Fixed typo in Geiju’s task description.
56 thoughts on “October 15th Update”
Wow amazing updates as always. Keep it up
I love the mini map feature, I consider it very useful when it comes to killing a student and seeing if someone does not approach, (like someone from the student council)
Glad you like it!
Wow i love this update, the retro handheld minigame is cool
Hey YanDev, would you ever consider applying the “Student Gaze” feature to students when they acknowledge the protagonist doing any alarming things (like giggling or running up behind them)? What I mean by this is that whenever the protagonist giggles or runs by a student on alert (like the Student Council members or Sonoko), the student’s whole entire body just whips around unnaturally or follows them by rotating on the spot. Instead of their whole bodies turning, would you consider making it so that only their heads could turn instead (only when the protagonist isn’t alarming the student from right behind them of course), or have their heads turn half-way before their whole bodies turn around to face the protagonist? I feel like this little change could make the characters seem just a little less robotic and smoother with their actions.
I would like to add onto this FABULOUS idea, really, hats off to you.
What about if a student KNOWS Ayano/Ryoba is dangerous they’re on high alert against them. If you’re in the same room, make your presence known, or eye sight they will glare at you and make a point of keeping you in their sights. They wouldn’t risk turning their back on someone they view as dangerous.
It will really make the fact they’re going to ruin your reputation the longer their alive and hate you feel really accurate.
Also I would suggest they run away from the player if you get too close. I wouldn’t suggest they get stat boosts or anything.
In FACT this would be a great reason to build up your athletics. So you can chase down witnesses or potential victims trying to flee from you.
Since you have been expanding upon those skills lately I feel this would be a great idea.
I love the minimap feature!!
I love more challenging features like feeding your prisoners and having a minimap in the game looks interesting too. Another amazing update as always!
Hey, I found a bug. When I press/hold the control key at school, the Life Note notification shows. I had done the achievement in the previous build, if that helps.
it also happens in yandere chan’s home
I love the new update a lot! The mini map is very useful. playing a mini game while you’re waiting makes the game more fun to play. This is so awesome! also, feeding the prisoner is very brilliant and makes the game more challenging. you’re doing a great job YandereDev!
Hey yandev i found some bugs, if you have the mini-map on when you do a club activity the game crashes, if you press the control key the life note achivement pops upp
And if you kidnap a student with glasses they clip trough the eye mask
Wow i like minimap feature! I wonder how HUD would be look l in lovesick mode.
I have suggestion for lovesick mode:
-To unlock the mode, you need to complete the story mode
Adding complexity to the mode:
– Police will arrive in 2 mins
– Security cameras it’s installed by default
– You have low reputation by default
– Students have increased reaction times
– Teachers will carry pepper sprays
– If dead body it’s discovered then in next day, atmosphere will drop to 0% and metal detectors will be installed also
– You can save the game but if you get game over, then save files will be deleted and you will start all over again in osana’s week
– All rivals will have password on their phones
– Genka will expel you if you were spotted by covering in blood, fighting a delinquent and holding a weapon.
– Products from info chan are much more expensive
Write opinions and what you think?
Hmm, I would also add:
– Tests we would have to study for since we ARE students.
– Special club items are locked up so Ayano/Ryoba can’t run in to grab them.
– Have special locks you have to picklock or steal keys for in order to gain access to club/special items.
– Bag checks at school gates during low environments.
Like pickpocketing the Headmaster walking around or sneaking the keys off the Headmaster after he falls asleep from the booze he keeps under the desk in order to gain access to the sword. Maybe putting sleeping medicine in it? Killing him would be an auto game over because Saikou Academy would close.
But that’s all I could think of adding on. You have really great ideas!
Thank you 🙂
wonder how HUD would be look like in lovesick mode* Oops, text error.
hello! I have a proposal for yandere simulator, as you know the subtitles are in English, but what if the players from Latin America for example, I think it would be better to translate to more languages <3
My language is Spanish and I understand yandere simulator because I’ve been playing it for a long time, but when my friends play it, they don’t understand the game 😦
Lo mas probable es que ese tipo de cosas se añadan cuando el juego salga completo
He has answer at this proposition in other pages, he don’t want traduce in other languages now because he will do lot and lot fixations… In final version, we will have a traduction :))
I have a few questions and a suggestion.
1. For a suggestion I wonder if it’s possible for the rainbow girls and rainbow boys can react to murder as if u murdered a sibling or close friend regardless of their strength like how Sakyu and Inkyu or Kokona or Saki can. The girls would want to defend each other and the boys would want to defend each other.
2. What’s the current nature of Kokona’s and Riku’s relationship. Is it like Riku has a crush on Kokona and she doesn’t feel the same or hasn’t noticed. Cause Riku has Kokona listed as his crush but she doesn’t have Riku as her crush.
3. I’m not sure if u remember but when first u added Horuda u gave her a longer skirt I thought it looked good and helped her stand out a bit. Ik it caused bugs which is y it was removed. Let’s just say u would be able to add it back bug free would u?
I think the new minigame should be optional and not mandatory. Personally, I prefer being able to watch what happens when I use the pass time feature and the minigame makes that impossible. It’s also a bit laggy.
Good update but..
Actually I don’t like the mini-map. Cuts eyes… It is more convenient to use the card that is included with a space. I hope that the minimap will not be enabled by default and can be disabled if it is introduced into the game.
I wanted a feature where you have to dispose the dead prisoner or your basements will filled with rotten flesh, and it will affect your reputation.
Thus, If polices investigate the city for proprietor, They will smell the rotten flesh and traced that Ayano killed an innocent prisoner.
It is dark, but very realistic
I MISS FLAPPY BIRD… AND THE RETRO GAME KINDA REMIND ME OF FLAPPY BIRD + UNDERTALE MERGED TOGETHER THO… I WONDER, DO YOU STILL PLAN TO ADD THE TETRIS GAMEBOY FOR 1980 MODE???
Yandere dev! it should be possible to skip the yakuza kidnapping scene. Awesome update by the way.
About the minimap, only the students on the floor you are on should appear, it is confusing to see arrows from other floors when you are on another one.
Thank you for all your hard work ahhhh <3333 I'm so excited to try this out
Man, ReubenThePig080 is such a legend in the community I hope he gets like an NPC in the final game at this point.
Although as to the torture mechanic, I’ve always remembered what you said all the way back about “If you don’t want to do some specific in-game join a club to make it easy like cooking for reputation or science for blood” but as almost every feature has a convenient alternative the torture mechanic seems to still seem to not have such a convenient option. I mean it’s not like it’s ever been particularly engaging with some special mini-game or something (unless that’s the plan with the final game in which case I can’t wait) and considering how hard it is to do you’d think some quality of life would be in order. you do something like… getting someone else to torture them for you.
To balance this since torturing isn’t like joining a club, maybe make this person acquirable through a questline or something. That otaku seems like a good guy to test it on since he’s only one-time use. Either that or a torture mini-game to make the effort a little more special
Anyway, that’s my two cents on the matter. Thank you for developing Yandere Simulator and keep it up 🙂
Yeah, not like it’s a game for kids, and it DOES come with a warning at the beginning. If people play it they should be conscious of their emotional triggers.
I always thought this could be expanded upon. Maybe building your language skill to make the brain washing/torture more effective by making the experience feel more immersive.
We would also be responsible for bathing them as well. Being down in that basement can’t be good for their health either.
the minimap overlaps settings
when u press ctrl (giggle) ir says “achievement unlocked life note”
I personally think that IF the minimal is to stay pink as its default, then the students markers shouldn’t be pink, just like how the rivals should be Red, Senpai. Can be a color to show obsession, maybe keep his pink, just darker.
Pink just doesn’t work, this one can look pretty, but it’s not understood.
When you see a map, you compare it to what you are seeing at the moment.
A pink map can even make it difficult for new players who don’t know the map at all.
I’m currently encountering an issue on 1980s mode. I’ve been going through the “canonical eliminations” perfectly fine and the way its supposed to
However, to not spoil the method I’ll be vague, on week 9 I am unable to do Etsuji’s task for some reason
Hi yandere dev, I don’t know if it is a bug or not as I haven’t been playing for very long but in the 1980’s mode i bullied a rival out of school and the following day they returned? I didn’t have to eliminate her again but I though I should mention it anyway.
I’m sorry, but I cannot replicate this bug.
It’s possible that this bug only occurs as a result of some additional step that wasn’t included in your instructions.
Did this bug only happen to you once, or does it happen every time you execute a specific set of actions? Can you re-create the bug any time?
If you can figure out specifically what action causes this bug to happen, please let me know.
(It might help if you send me a video of yourself re-creating the bug.)
How much did you lower their reputation? Did you use saves? If anything, I use a translator.
a big seems to be happening where if you hold the control key for yandere vision, the Life Note achievement will come up. it happens each time you press the key. i’m assuming it was for the screenshot of the new achievement look, just letting you know 🙂
Hi YandereDev! I have a bug to report, as well as a suggestion:
So, whenever I press the control button, it always shows the ‘Achievement Unlocked Life Note’ pop-up. I don’t why that’s happening.
Also, a suggestion: I’ve always wanted to change Ayano’s looks and persona, since the game’s release. She just looks so…bland and emotionless (I know that she does not express any emotions but still). She should at least express some emotions in school (We can change that in the mirror, but she should have a fake emotion by default like Ryoba does). She can maybe have a shy emotion? Or any that suits her best.
Also, her looks…again, she looks really bland and boring, She should look a little, better like maybe have a cardigan, it could be based on her persona. She could also maybe have glasses! And another thing, is her eye texture. Since she is emotionless, why not make it dark and black, without a sparkle (If you know what I mean). That’ll make her look better!
This is just a suggestion btw, nothing else. That you for reading!
1. Fixed in next build, sorry about that.
2. Ayano will always be that way, because it’s part of the story.
3. Customization options may be added if enough players request it.
I’m all for having customization items! 😀
Customization would be so cool. I think players want to identify with the main character, and the best option would be give her our own personality, like dyeing her hair, buying special accesories in the street or change her eyes color.
When you do the abc killer challenge in 1980s mode the female delinquents are all white and they are near the journalist
I think the distance at whitch student gazes apply is a bit too large
Hmm, I like the mini map feature, very practical, but I feel Taro should be a pink heart. So he can feel distinguishable on the min map. Or rivals can be red hearts, regular students are the regular ones we have now, and Ayano can be a black heart.
That way we don’t feel lost in the shuffle if we’re around a bunch of NPC. The pink mode should honestly remain toggleable or retained for Lovesick Mode because I feel that it’s harder to distinguish things on the map with the filter. That would add some challenge to the Lovesick Mode as it IS supposed to be a hard mode.
But I understand that this is a super new feature that’ll be improved down the line so no worries. As usual I am always happy to follow the development of Yandere Simulator! Hope you’re having a wonderful day.
I love this update especially because of the Feeding Prisoners update, because it really didn’t make sense to keep a prisoner for weeks and not have them starve to death.
Although I loved this update, I do want to suggest something:
For the achievement UI, I suggest changing the heart shape where the image is shown, because it doesn’t fit very well in my opinion, also it would be nicer if it was slightly smaller.
I found a bug: the life note achievement keeps popping up after I completed it
Hi YandereDev, so i have this suggestion, maybe it could be possible to re-open clubs?
The thing is at least in 1980 mode you can’t recognize the students well, and for example if you kidnap or kill any person if you are doing the murder-suicide for example, the club close.
And becauae of this you can’t enter a club that could be really useful in the late game, like the newspaper for the popular rival.
So, I thought that it could be cool if you can talk with any leader of club that had shut down, to re-open the club, maybe the next day or week?
This could also be useful with club leaders that are rivals, because idk if in the future Amai (for example) has an event of cooking in the club a wednesday, and in the first week i killed two cooking club members, that event would not happen.
So i thought that asking Amai to re-open the club, could make the player see these events.
Idk if i explain correctly everything cuz i don’t speak english as my first language, but i hope you read this suggestion 😀
Thank you for your hard work
The minimap function is great, but it drastically reduces the frames per second for me … I hope when it gets added to the game it will have an option to turn it off in the game settings!
It’s beginning to sound like it should be left out of the game…
Hey I know this might not get seen, but when I was sharing the cool update with my friend, they complained about the hud being hard to read (The example with the minimap with the new reputation bar alongside it). Looking again, it was a bit glaring on the eyes. I hope it’s easier to read in the final version.
As for the update, I’m really glad I sorta distanced myself for a bit and let updates build up, this is so cool!!
For the retro minigame bit, I can see that it makes more sense in 1989 and how she wants to pass down her things to her daughter, but I don’t think Ryoba’s handheld would work anymore at this point, so I think the time killer minigame you do while time is passing in 202X should be in the form of one of those time killer mobile app games that Ayano has on her phone since they’re much more popular and more convention nowadays. Though I understand that it would require new assists.
the text that says “you should dispose of the body” i think is something people will ignore if there’s no consequences. what if keeping a corpse around your alive prisoners drops their health faster? the rotting would make them sick, and the player would be pushed to action if they don’t want to kill all of their prisoners.
This was planned, I just forgot to put it into the game. I’ll add it in the next build.