This update isn’t too special; I just wanted to upload a new build to reassure you that I’m still actively working on the game and making steady progress every day.
But, depending on how things go, the next build could be a lot more interesting!
- There were always meant to be 10 Headmaster cassette tapes, but putting lore tapes into the game hasn’t been a high priority for a long time, so I neglected that feature for the past several years. Recently, I had a power outage for a few hours, during which I wasn’t able to get any work done on the game. So, I used that time to write the last remaining Headmaster tapes! The Headmaster’s voice actor has recorded the tapes, and I’m almost ready to put them into the game; I’m just waiting for an audio engineer volunteer to apply an “old-timey cassette tape” effect onto the recordings.
- The “Yandere-chan and Info-chan meet for the first time” text message conversation was written back in 2015, and is some of the oldest content in the game. I feel like the writing was pretty rough, and that I could have worded things much better. I also feel like there is some important gameplay information that needs to be imparted to the player (panty shots aren’t the only way to earn favors from Info-chan). With these things in mind, I decided to re-write that conversation. The voice actresses finished recording it recently, so the next update will most likely contain an updated Yandere/Info conversation!
- Ever since I first implemented the Student Council girls, I’ve wanted each of them to have voice acting…but it was difficult to locate the ideal voice actresses for the job. Recently, I decided on the actresses who I believe would be perfect for the Student Council girls, and the plan is for them to record very soon! Depending on their availability, the next build may finally contain voiced lines for the Student Council girls!
- For the past 5 years, Yandere Simulator’s school hallways have been empty and devoid of props and decorations. It was never meant to be that way; the hallways were always meant to have props, but there were always higher priorities than aesthetics and decorations. At this point in time, though, we’ve finally reached the stage of development where there is practically nothing left to be done, and I have recently received a ton of appropriate props for the hallways, so it’s possible that the next update will finally contain fully-decorated hallways!
- There is only one more “lore” tidbit that I want to be included in the Osana demo. After it goes into the game, there will be no remaining “lore” items taking any of my time away from Osana. I have the necessary models and voice acting for it, so it’s possible that you may see it in the next update!
By the time I release the next update, it’s likely that I will have finished all Osana-centric tasks. After I hit that milestone, the last remaining task will be to give the game a fresh coat of paint (new UI, new HUD, new title screen) before releasing Osana. I want the new graphics to be a complete surprise, which means that once I begin working on the new graphics, I won’t be releasing any more builds until Osana is complete.
In short, what I’m saying is that, after the next update, there may not be any further updates until Osana is finished. It’s not a 100% guarantee, but there’s a strong possibility that this will be the case. (If critical bugs are discovered, I may need to release bug-fixing updates or something.)
Anyway! To see a list of everything that was fixed/changed in the latest build, scroll down past this gorgeous artwork of Prealle!
Fixes, Changes, Additions
- When I upgraded to Unity 2019, Unity defaulted to producing 64-bit executables, meaning that the game stopped being compatible with 32-bit systems. I recently tried to produce a build that would be playable on 32-bit systems, but when I tested it, I encountered a bunch of crash bugs, so I had to revert back 64-bit. Unfortunately, Yandere Simulator may be restricted to 64-bit systems for the forseeable future.
- If a teacher (or student council member) sends Yandere-chan to the guidance counselor for carrying a weapon, the weapon will be taken away and put inside of a box in the faculty room. As of now, if Yandere-chan is spotted carrying a fire extinguisher, the fire extinguisher will now be returned to its original position instead of the box in the faculty room. For now, fire extinguishers are (deliberately) the only exception.
- Prior to this build, if the player joined a club, the game would remember what club the player joined, even if the player reset the day, got a game over, or loaded an earlier save immediately after joining the club. As of now, the game will not carry the player’s club status forward to subsequent days unless the player successfully makes it to the end of the day.
- Removed exploit that would allow the player to get an easy panty shot by getting so close to a student that they were clipping inside of the student’s body, then pulling out their camera, inserting it inside the student’s torso, and aiming the camera straight downwards at their panties.
- Fixed bug that would cause the “follower countdown timer” to remain above the head of a student who was previously following Yandere-chan, if the player attempted to splash them with water twice within one day.
- Fixed bug that would prevent the player from being able to use the “Find Student Locker” feature if the player had placed a note into a student’s locker earlier in the day, and then killed that student.
- Prior to this build, a bloody weapon would not be considered “suspicious” if the weapon itself was a non-suspicious object (such as a screwdriver). This oversight has been corrected.
- Prior to this build, the act of using a handheld blowtorch to cauterize a corpse’s wounds was not considered to be suspicious behavior. This oversight has now been corrected.
- Fixed bug that would allow Yandere-chan to take a shower while standing outside of a shower stall if she activated the shower prompt while standing in just the right spot.
- It is no longer possible to sit on the bench where Sakyu / Inkyu have their daily conversations, during the point in time when they are meant to have a conversation there.
- If a Teacher’s Pet runs to the faculty room to report a murder to a teacher and discovers that all 6 teachers are dead, they will run out of school instead.
- Obtaining the “Genocide Ending” will now result in dark, creepy music playing during the game’s credits, instead of the normal credits music.
- Fixed bug that would cause the laughing feature to become broken if the player was mashing the laugh button while loading a save file.
- Fixed bug that would cause a phoneless’ student’s phone to magically re-appear in their hand if they heard Yandere-chan giggle.
- Fixed bug that would cause the map to perpetually move if the player was holding down a movement key while summoning the map.
- Fixed bug that would prevent students from being able to notice Yandere-chan if she was aiming her camera while crawling.
- Wielding the drama club props will no longer be considered suspicious if Yandere-chan is a member of the drama club.
- The grass in front of the school will no longer fail to change colors properly when lighting/atmosphere changes.
- Fixed bug that would cause Midori to perform a “texting on phone” animation while searching for her lost phone.
- Saving/Loading will now properly track how many blood pools were at school, and where they were located.
- Saving/Loading will now properly track the locations of all buckets/mops/bleach containers at school.
- Saving/Loading will now properly track the contents of all buckets containers at school.
- Saving/Loading will now properly track how much blood a corpse has spilled.
- Various code optimizations to make progress towards improving framerate. (Previously, I was at 47~52 FPS, but now I’m at 52~57 FPS!)