Hi! I’m very sorry, but there won’t be a video today. Recently, I’ve just felt like working on the game way more than working on videos.
In January, I explained that Osana became functionally complete in December of 2019, and that I planned to release her after fixing bugs, polishing up the rough-looking parts of the game, and basically just making sure that the demo represents my vision of what the game is supposed to be like. Making the demo “represent my vision” is a somewhat broad category; sometimes it involves implementing the last remaining core gameplay functionality, and sometimes it involves implementing something that is unrelated to gameplay, yet still very important to me nonetheless, because it that makes the demo true to my vision.
In terms of “last remaining core gameplay functionality”, the only thing that is still missing is a Save/Load feature. Over the past 2 weeks, I spent some time trying to reach that goal, but ran into a lot of obstacles. It started to look like the sort of thing that would eat up way too much time, so I decided to request help from other programmers. The feature isn’t 100% ready yet, but some promising progress has been made.
In terms of “making the demo true to my vision”, there are only two or three more things that the demo needs to have before I feel like, “Yes! My vision is complete! Time to release Osana!” These things are actually related to the game’s backstory/lore and potential consequences of the player’s actions.
I didn’t want to release another update unless I was finished implementing Saving/Loading, or finished implementing a long-planned surprise related to the game’s lore. However, I didn’t want you to spend too much time without a new build, so in honor of my “1st and 15th day of every month” tradition, I’m releasing a new update today!
The latest build has a huge number of changes from the previous build – almost 40! One of them is something I’ve been planning since 2014 – and I have a screenshot to prove it! To read about everything that is new, fixed, or different in the latest build, scroll down past this amazing Yandere-chan cosplay video by snowthesaltqueen!
Sorry, I couldn’t resist, here’s another video from snowthesaltqueen!
Oh, did you think I was done? Here’s another!
Fixes, Changes, Additions
- From now on, committing at least 50 murders over the course of gameplay will cause Akademi to shut down, resulting in a game over. (This is to discourage players from trying to make it trivially easy to eliminate all rivals by simply murdering all potential witnesses instead of using stealth, manipulation, and distraction.)
- Fixed bug that would cause multiple characters in the same situation to all say the same line simultaneously or within a short span of time. (No more listening to 6 teachers simultaneously tell you that you’re trespassing, or hearing “Screw this, I’m outta here!” from 5 delinquents simultaneously.)
- Previously, I didn’t have a “male dying from poisoned food” voice recording, so male students were using female voices while dying from poison. I received male voice recording for this circumstance, so male students now use a male voice when dying from poison.
- The two science club boys who have conversations about Magical Girl Pretty Miyuki now have another conversation about another fictional franchise that exists in Yandere Sim’s world, after Cleaning Time on Monday.
- Fixed bug that caused Student Council Members to fail to execute their code properly if they were distracted by the sound of Yandere-chan running while noticing a dropped weapon on the ground.
- Fixed bug that caused the police countdown timer to freeze if Yandere-chan was sent to the counselor while the police were coming to school, but all corpses had already been disposed of.
- Fixed bug that would cause the player to become unable to interact with a student if a stink bomb was used on that student while they were noticing Yandere-chan do something alarming.
- When leaving a note in a student’s locker, the list of potential topics you can leave notes about has changed slightly; it’s related to one of Osana’s elimination methods.
- Fixed bug that would cause the game to crash if the player attempted to start the Alphabet Killer Challenge while some students had already been killed on a previous day.
- Fixed bug that would cause a student’s circular “countdown timer” to remain above their head permanently if they entered a stink bomb cloud while following Yandere-chan.
- Fixed bug that would cause Yandere-chan to get stuck between a door and a wall if she was standing between a door and a wall when a student opened the door.
- Fixed bug that would cause Student Council members to have a long delay before entering their pepper-spraying animations, under specific circumstances.
- Fixed bug that would prevent the camera from working properly in SNAP Mode if it was activated after Senpai ripped a mask off of Yandere-chan’s face.
- Fixed bug that caused teachers to stop investigating giggles if they located a dropped weapon while investigating a giggle earlier in the day.
- Fixed bug that would allow the player to kill students out-of-order in the Alphabet Killer Challenge if the student was killed in a struggle.
- Attempted to fix a bug that would prevent the player from being able to interact with objects / students during the Alphabet Killer Challenge.
- When leaving Yandere-chan’s room, the number of options that you are presented with is different. This is related to one of Osana’s events.
- Added some props to the Calligraphy room. (Still unfinished.) (The Calligraphy room will be relevant during one of the rivals’ events.)
- The storage rooms all looked really awful, so they have been re-designed with new appearances. (The “Meme Closet” is still the same.)
- Fixed bug that would prevent Yandere-chan from putting a body into a locker if she was dragging the corpse instead of carrying it.
- Fixed bug that would cause Student Council members to snap out of their pepper-spraying animations under specific circumstances.
- To make non-concealable weapons functionally different from concealable weapons, blunt weapons no longer leave blood pools.
- Made further attempts to fix a bug that would prevent Yandere-chan from automatically attacking students at low sanity.
- Fixed some students that were not in alphabetical order or not included in the Alphabet Killer Challenge.
- Fixed bug that prevented amnesia bombs from properly affecting delinquents who were chasing the player.
- Fixed bug that would cause Yandere-chan’s eyes to turn solid white when being attacked by Nemesis.
- Fixed bug that prevented students from reacting to Yandere-chan aiming a camera at their faces.
- Fixed bug that made Mission Mode text blurry and unreadable at low quality settings.
- Added 3 new hairstyles for Yandere-chan. (That brings the total to 200…whoa!)
- Fixed bug that allowed the player to put a bucket inside of a trash can.
- Fixed error in Supana Churu’s portrait.
- Replaced Mai Waifu’s hair model.
Basu Sister Update
This one is really exciting to talk about!
5 years ago, I announced that I had a plan for the Basu sisters; I said that I wanted them to have daily conversations that allow the player to learn more about the school and its lore.
About 10 days ago, I finally implemented those conversations!
- Every day, Sakyu and Inkyu sit on a bench and have a conversation with each other.
- These conversations are private; if they know that you are eavesdropping on them, they will stop talking.
- There are meant to be 50 conversations over the course of the game. Because the Osana demo is only 5 days long, there will only be 5 conversations in the demo.
- If the police visited school on the previous day, the sisters will skip their daily conversation and talk about the police investigation, instead. (This means that if you want to hear all 50 conversations, you will have to avoid ever letting the police visit the school over the course of the game.)
- If one of the sisters has witnessed Yandere-chan commit murder, they will have a completely different type of conversation, and will never have a “lore” conversation again.
- The sisters now have a new routine at school – instead of just heading to the rooftop and spending all day talking there, they now walk around to various locations, as if they are…searching for something…
- Sakyu now has a voiced line if she catches Yandere-chan trying to steal her ring at lunchtime.
You might be wondering if the above list represents everything I worked on over the past 2 weeks. Not at all! The Basu sister stuff went into the game super fast, and I’m relying on someone else’s help with the Save/Load feature, so I spent the rest of my time working on preparing Osana for release. Not “Gameplay functionality that is needed before Osana can be added”, not “Stuff that is necessary for the demo to be true to my vision,” but straight-up working directly on Osana.
Specifically, I’m currently in the process of adding the last remaining bits of polish to her Befriend/Betray event. Just like with SNAP Mode, it has been extremely gratifying to work on, because the way it looks/feels is exactly what I always imagined. It feels like magic when something goes into the game precisely the way I always saw it in my mind!
I have a text file on my desktop listing the last remaining things that need to happen before Osana is released; “directly on Osana” things, not “true to my vision” things. That list is now down to less than 10 items, and the majority of them are about fixing bugs related to Osana, testing edge-case scenarios in Osana events, or requesting missing lines from voice actresses. It’s an incredible feeling! I’m getting this, “Whoa, it’s really happening, I’m actually doing it!” sensation, and it feels amazing!
Thank you for your patience during this final stretch, and thank you for following the development of Yandere Simulator!