Over the past 2 weeks, I’ve been making tons of progress on Osana. In case you’re curious exactly what I’ve been doing, I’ll write out a progress report below. But first, I want to share this cosplay by Sulkucosp!
Super artistic!! I love it!!
I’m always so impressed by the artwork and cosplay that comes out of the Russian fan community for Yandere Simulator! I think the primary reason why Yandere Simulator has such a large and active fanbase in Russia is due to the efforts of a group of people who operate a Yandere Sim fan page on VKontakte, which is basically the Russian equivalent of Facebook (and the 12th most-visited website in the world)! Not only do they post fan art and cosplay almost every day, but they also translate my blog posts to Russian! I’m extremely grateful to the lovesick_yandersimulator group on vk.com, because they are basically my official representatives in Russia!
As I scroll down their page, I see a dozen illustrations and cosplay photos that I want to share…but I’ll contain my excitement for now, and move on to the “Progress Report” part of the blog post, followed by the changelog for the latest build.
In the video that I uploaded one month ago, I tried to explain that implementing Osana involves a whole lot more than just programming a bunch of ways to kill her, and letting her show up at school. “Working on Osana” spans across several different categories, such as Senpai’s reaction to her death, how her death affects other characters’ routines, and how other characters’ deaths affect her events. Over the past 2 weeks, what I’ve been working on belongs in entirely different categories altogether:
In the “debug sandbox” version of the game, when you reach Friday, you simply see a message that tells you, “the game isn’t finished yet.” However, in the “official demo”, the player will be able to advance past that point.
After the calendar screen advances from Friday to Saturday, you will see a cutscene…
…followed by another cutscene…
…followed by one final cutscene, which is quite significant to the game’s lore! So significant, I’ve gotta blur it!
After that, there will probably be some sort of “Thank you for playing” sequence, explaining what kind of content will be featured in the full game that wasn’t in the demo. More rivals, better character models and environment models, more weapon variety, etc.
In short, I’ve been spending time on “Post-Osana” events, because that’s virtually all that remains to be done! Working on these cutscenes has been a welcome change of pace, after the heavy emphasis on gameplay mechanics during October and November. It reminds me of working on the “intro cutscenes” that were made back in 2014!
Of course, I’ve also been making progress on the last remaining pieces of Osana gameplay that still remain to be implemented. It’s come down to bug-fixing, removing exploits, and sometimes just moving parts of the game’s environment so that I can position characters in specific spots so that it’s not too easy to eliminate Osana without doing some work to get rid of potential witnesses beforehand. A lot of miscellaneous “odds and ends” type of stuff.
As usual, I made various bug fixes and improvements while getting work done on Osana, which you can read about below!
Fixes, Changes, Additions
- Pose Mode now has a “Save/Load” feature, for making a character instantly switch to a previously-saved pose. It is currently in its earliest stages, and isn’t 100% functional yet, but if it is developed further, then in the future, you’ll be able to save/load what you create in Pose Mode! (Remember to “Stop Animation” before loading a pose, or else the character’s current animation will immediately snap them out of the pose you’re trying to load.) Poses are saved in YandereSimulator\Assets\StreamingAssets\Poses
- Removed items from the Senpai Shrine. Those items are meant to be unlocked once per week over the course of the full game. Because the game is approaching the “official demo” phase, those items have been removed so that the player will actually be able to collect/unlock them through gameplay in the near future.
- A notification will now display onscreen when attempting to enter the boys’ locker room or when attempting to leave the girls’ locker room while only wearing a towel.
- It should no longer be possible for Inkyu/Sakyu to get stuck on Senpai’s body when walking past him to investigate a giggle on the school rooftop.
- Fixed bug that caused a student dying of poison to stop rendering if their original location was not within the camera’s view frustum.
- Fixed bug that could cause Yandere-chan’s camera to take a photo even if the player wasn’t pressing the “take photo” button.
- Multiple characters can now investigate screams (instead of just one character investigating, as is the case with giggles).
- Students can no longer notice dropped weapons/limbs/blood pools while in the middle of a conversation with Yandere-chan.
- Fixed bug that made it difficult to see the button prompts for planting Info-chan’s covert listening devices.
- Characters without the “Hero” Persona will now investigate screams.
- Kiba Kawaito’s hair will no longer clip through walls.
- Severed limbs now have bloodier textures.